Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thrifty Mess Mat, Placemat and Matching Bib

Now that the babe likes to feed himself he also thinks it's fun to throw his leftovers on the floor. And since I don't feel like adding a dog to our family just yet, I needed a simpler (cheaper!) solution.

I spent hours online searching for a cute "mess mat" to put under his chair - only to find that they are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced! Thirty bucks for a piece of plastic!?!? I think not.

Thus, I decided to make my own...


Luckily for me it's summer - time for picnics and cheap plastic gear. I headed to my local Big Lots and was PLEASANTLY surprised to find a TON of super cute, super cheap (i.e. $3.50) vinyl covered tablecloths!! The only hard part was choosing colors that wouldn't look too tacky in my dining room. I ended on a simple, tasteful blue and white design by Waverly.

When I got home and unfolded it I realized that it was big enough for me to cut up and make matching "accessories". Which was convenient since I really wanted a "wipeable" placemat to leave near Henry's chair so that I can set his half-eaten bananas and messy spoons on it without making a total mess of my table.

Here's the placemat and mess mat. It's one of my very first sewing projects and all I did was play around with different stitches for the edges - nothing fancy, just functional.



Today, I finally tackled the matching bib.

I found several great tutorials online (I'm kinda addicted to reading craft blogs lately), but the one I mainly followed is at My Own Road. Except I decided not to attempt a pocket this go round.

First, I traced one of the babe's bibs (I used 2 pieces of the table cloth so it'd be "wipeable" on both sides).


Then I pinned white bias tape around the edges. This is my first time using bias tape and it's so neat how simple and effective it is at making neat edges! I think I may be addicted.


And then I sewed it all together. Let's just say this took a bit longer than I had hoped because the curves gave me some trouble- I had to rip out a few seams, but eventually got it (good enough, anyway :)



I used some adhesive velcro that I had laying around to attach the neck straps. Luckily it was big enough for the babe's neck!

It's not perfect, but for a beginner such as myself I think it all looks pretty good :)




My usually happy model was tired of pictures today, but I still think he's cute!




Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Way to go!!! I think your fist bib attempt came out awesome, and I have to say I never really cared for those pocket bibs anyway. They're hard to clean out, if you ask me. He's such a cute boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing. I am so impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! It all looks great! I too have discovered a love for bias tape. I made napmats for my kids last year before they started preschool. Definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! And the bib is pretty cute too ;) I love the pattern you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a great idea! I love it! and you did an amazing job! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone, for your sweet and encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so thrifty! I hope to start learning to sew soon too--maybe after life settles down with #3. Call me sometime!

    ReplyDelete

I thrive on comments...and followers.
So, please leave your thoughts and follow my blog!

If you have your own blog, please add your link so I can follow you, too!