Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Happy Birthday, Sister!

I love my sister.

She was born on this day 26 years ago. I was 4. And while I'm certain I was a great big sister back then (my mom may beg to differ) I am confident that our relationship has improved with time. As we have gotten older we have grown closer. She is not just my sister, she is my friend.

This is us playing together when she was probably 2-years-old and I was about 6. I choose to believe that is a look of joy on her face, not fear.


My sister is smart. And I'm not just saying that because she's my sister. There is a lot of evidence to prove this: she graduated with above a 4.0 from high school, she won the most prestigious scholarship offered in our town (a full-ride to any college she wanted), she attended Duke University and graduated at the top of her class, she learned Italian and studied abroad in Italy, she went to one of the best law schools in the country (UT Austin) and earned her JD - scoring at the top of her class, and she has recently passed both the Texas and New Mexico bar exams. Yes, I think you will agree, my sister is smart.

Here we are in 2005 when I went to visit her at Duke.


When I went to visit her in Venice...



My sister is fun. Now, I may not have physical evidence to prove this one, but everyone that knows her will agree. She studies hard, and plays hard. Growing up she tended to spend more time with my brother than me because she liked sports and outdoor activities more than my Barbies and dolls. She was one of the star players on her high school basketball team - taking them to State her Senior Year! Now that she's out of school she is leading a church softball league. And our nephews will attest that she is a super fun aunt. She loves to play and be silly.

Here we are "being silly" with our favorite books from childhood. She LOVED Amelia Bedelia.


Here she is with my babe in the "balla" onesie she made for him - he has one super cool Aunt!


My sister is beautiful. All you have to do is look at her pictures to grasp this truth. She is tall, slim (with athlete's muscles), has shiny natural red hair, big greenish-blue eyes, and a contagious smile. Though as a child she preferred basketball shorts and tennis shoes (which she still probably prefers, but only wears at home), she can now be found in crisp, tailored business suits and perfectly matched heels. Her simple, yet classic taste in jewelry accentuates her beauty but doesn't overwhelm it. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks my sister is beautiful - she has a handsome, loving husband who looks at her every day with eyes that reflect the beauty he sees in her. Her beauty starts within and radiates out. She loves the Lord and His Word, and she strives to live a holy life.

This is one of my favorite pictures of my sister and me with our handsome Uncle Jerry. We were bridesmaids at our brother's wedding in 2007.




And here's my sister as a gorgeous bride on her wedding day in 2010...


This is more recent pic of her - showcasing her beauty as an Aunt.




I could go on and on about my little sister, but I hope she already knows how awesome she is and how much I love her. I just wanted to dedicate my blog to her today and show the world a little bit more about her.

I love you, sister. Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely post about lovely Karen. Happy Birthday, Karen! You truly have always been a sweet gem. Wish I could see you more as you are so grown up now. : ) Have a blessed year!

    ReplyDelete

I thrive on comments...and followers.
So, please leave your thoughts and follow my blog!

If you have your own blog, please add your link so I can follow you, too!