Monday, July 11, 2011

Make Something Monday : Convert onesie into t-shirt

Since the babe's first birthday is quickly approaching I've been busy planning his party!! I may be going overboard but I sure am having fun! :) I decided that since I'm making most of the decorations and favors for the party I would share them on our blog. So, every Monday for the next few weeks you can look forward to a Birthday Project!

Here's what I did today...

Warren's mom got this cute birthday onesie for Henry several months ago, but since it's a bit too short and tight (the babe's a big kid!), she suggested that I convert it into a t-shirt. Plus, it had long sleeves and since we live in Texas and it will be August there is no way I'd make the birthday boy suffer in long sleeves. I found some great tips from The Year of Sewing.


So, first I busted out my super sharp scissors and cut off the long sleeves (luckily, Carter's made it easy with the separate hem!). I'm thinking the extra sleeves would make super cool leggings or fun arm bands for the babe - his dad might not like that, though! :)


Then, I cut off the onesie part (the bottom) - and I did NOT do a good job with getting it straight, but oh well.


If I had been more prepared for this project I would have bought some navy blue bias tape for the hem, but instead I'm lazy and thrifty so I found the most "boyish" ribbon I had just laying around and decided to use it for the hem. I couldn't just hem the original shirt because then it would have been way to short for Henry- and although I love his chubby belly, it might not be so attractive.

I just folded the ribbon in half over the cut hem of the shirt and pinned it.
Then I used a regular stitch with white thread to attach it.
I thought about using blue or green thread and a criss-cross stitch, but decided to keep it simple.

The final stitches were a bit ugly and challenging for me, but I figure no one will really see them and as long as it stays together long enough for a few pictures it will be fine.




And ta-da...


I even managed to squeeze the babe into it for a quick pic.

He's gonna make a handsome birthday boy if I do say so myself!



Making

1 comment:

  1. So, I'm not the best photographer of craft projects...but I vow as a new blogger to work on my skills! :) Thanks for your patience!

    ReplyDelete

I thrive on comments...and followers.
So, please leave your thoughts and follow my blog!

If you have your own blog, please add your link so I can follow you, too!