Monday, August 8, 2011

Make Something Monday : Burp Cloths

Despite some intense battles between my sewing machine and I, we have managed to finish some pretty cute baby gifts.



I feel horrible for not saving the link to the tutorial I used- but I think I just found it by skimming through some DIY blogs a few months ago (there are PLENTY out there with similar designs).

I started with some Gerber pre-fold cloth diapers (the ones with the extra padding in the middle).
Then I cut the fabric to cover the center panel - with about 1/4 inch of extra fabric for the hem. The first time I made one I actually busted out the iron and made a nice, crisp fold - but I didn't do that on this last batch. I just pinned the edges. After the first one I made, I learned that the corners are really the only "difficult" part - so I am now extra careful to make sure it gets all folded in and stays. 

I used a zig-zag stitch in a fun color. Straight lines all around - nothing fancy. 



Basically, this is a SUPER easy project and inexpensive yet personal baby gift
However, if you are a novice like me, it may be a bit frustrating.
These took me WAY too long - but now that they are done, I am glad I pressed on.
And now I have a cute gift for all the new babies in my life!! 

The dinos are my fave, and I think they look cute with the bright blue thread. I found this fabric on sale when I first started sewing - way back in May :) 




Making

5 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute!! And very impressive! I keep looking at DIY ideas I hope to try after baby gets here, but I automatically disqualify any and all that require eve the smallest amount of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no worries, Tracie - one of these is in the mail to you right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I'm so glad you didn't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute! I'm just a little bit addicted to sewing right now. Love seeing new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute cute!! I've made several burp cloths and I've found that if you sew some coordinating ribbon down the sides quick you don't have to worry about making the edges of the fabric look pretty. I'm all about just covering up my mistakes!!

    ReplyDelete

I thrive on comments...and followers.
So, please leave your thoughts and follow my blog!

If you have your own blog, please add your link so I can follow you, too!